Milder weather for a couple of days....unsettled next week

>> Friday, January 28, 2011

Here is today's edition of the Carolina Weather Video. A nice weekend ahead, and I spend a good bit of time discussing the possibilities next week.





25 years ago.....the Challenger disaster. Those videos and images still send a chill up my spine. Even during childhood, I have had a love for all things weather, space, and aviation. I was very interested in the space program, and I kept up with every shuttle mission. I remember my mom and I watching coverage of the disaster in our kitchen....totally shook my young little world. For whatever reason, that was an event that deeply impacted me.....took me a long time to get over.

Weather played a role in the disaster....if you are interested in it, there are plenty of things on the web to read to see what role it might have played.


On to the weather...clouds this morning.....even a flurry or two can't be ruled out....as we catch the tail end of a clipper. Behind the system, we should see a lot of afternoon sun with highs in the low to mid 50s.

A great weather day is on tap for tomorrow with highs in the mid to upper 50s and lots of sun. I still think a couple of lucky spots might hit 60.

Clouds roll in Sunday, and highs will likely be a few degrees cooler.

Next week...

Lots of moving pieces impacting next week's weather. It appears a pretty strong cold air damming set up will unfold from later Monday through Tuesday. At the same time, some weak disturbances will ripple through....so some light precip is possible Monday and Tuesday.

The core of the main system will likely move through around Wednesday. It looks, as of now, as it the main surface low will head up near or maybe even west of the mountains, so the wedge should scour out with time. I am thinking we should end up with mostly rain Wednesday, but we will have to see exactly how the cold air damming sets up.

West of the mountains....you always have to keep a watch of that shallow arctic air. This is the real deal in terms of cold air moving into the Plains early next week, and as I discussed previously, that cold air will bleed southward with time, getting increasingly shallow as it does. So somewhere in there, you have to watch for ice potential....but where or when is still a mystery.


2 comments:

Anonymous 2:34 PM  

MAtt do you look at the DGEX model it has 2 systems next week the 1st of which could be and ice storm and than next Friday and SAturday a fairly decent snwostorm i think before the pattern of cold and storms across the east gives up i think we will get 1 or 2 more decent snows than teh pattern breaks the 3rd week of Febuary what you thinking? Chris

Matthew East 3:09 PM  

Yes, I have seen what the DGEX does. There is just tons of uncertainty with the specifics of next week, but I think it will be cool and pretty unsettled.

As for when the pattern breaks, I don't have a good feeling yet. I am sure the pattern will relax at some point, but if it does, that doesn't necessarily mean spring is here...more cold could come later.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP