TD 6 Discussion

>> Sunday, September 03, 2006

Tropical Depression 6 formed this afternoon roughly midway between Africa and the Lesser Antilles. As far as newly-formed tropical depressions go, it looks fairly healthy. Looking at Dvorak intensity estimates from satellite data, the system looks to contain roughly the same winds as it had when the NHC prepared the 5pm advisory. So, I doubt the NHC will upgrade the system to a tropical storm with the 11pm advisory this evening. However, the overall environmental conditions are not overly hostile, so I think we will see TD 6 become Tropical Storm Florence by the end of Labor Day.

The system is heading to the northwest at the present time. That is because a large trough over the northern Atlantic Ocean is influencing the system. See picture below...



That trough will lift out, and its influence over the tropical system should end by Tuesday. At that point, the motion of TD 6 should bend back more toward the west as a large high builds over the system to the north. That largely westward motion should continue for the rest of the week.

TD 6 will likely be fairly close to the eastern US coast by the 11th or 12th. It could get turned out to sea at that point, or it could threaten the eastern US. Too soon to tell, but we will watch it closely. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

Anonymous 9:58 PM  

You've got to be kidding me with your post on news14.com today, Mr. East. Please read your report again and notice your terrible mistakes. Heaven forbid I ask my students to read your posts, which I was considering as a daily lesson to them.

"Sunday was a mugger and slightly warmer day that (than) what we say (said) Saturday. A couple of isolated shower (showers) dotted the radar screen, but most locations remained dry."

---

"A low pressure area will slowly move through our area Monday and Tuesday, and along with that will come scattered showers and storms (Is this really your idea of a solid sentence? Why did you need the and?). So, for any outdoor Labor Day plans you have scheduled, be aware that the possibility exists that you might have to bring those plans indoors.

Matthew East 10:17 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew East 10:20 PM  

My apologies for the typographical errors in the first paragraph you quoted. The sentence you quoted should actually read "Sunday was a muggier and slightly warmer day than what we saw Saturday."

Most times, my web discussions are written as I am in the midst of my live on-air block. So, while typing the discussion, I am also designing and building graphics, doing forecasts for various geographic areas, and doing live weather. I suppose I do not spend as much time checking for typos as I should. So again, I apologize for those errors.

Thanks for reading. Have a great Labor Day, and God bless....

Anonymous 9:21 AM  

To the anonymous person who criticized Mr. East's post, you must find something to occupy your time. I am also a teacher and in the middle of doing the numerous things done at News 14, I'm pretty sure I would not be able to be "perfect" in my blog to my loyal listeners. Maybe you should only be using textbooks to teach about the weather from now on (there's no misprints in there I'm sure) And to Mr. East, please continue doing what you are doing. Your blog is great and educational.

Matthew East 10:26 AM  

Tonya,

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate it!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP