Brrr....

>> Thursday, February 05, 2009



Above is today's edition of the Carolina Weather Video. Stick with it till the end of the video....second half of February could be exciting.

Frigid start today with many Piedmont locations down into the low to mid teens. Highs today will again struggle to make it into the mid 30s for most. Tonight will again be down into the mid to upper teens in many spots.

However, a nice warming trend will begin tomorrow with highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s, and this weekend will feature highs in the 60s.

A dry cold front will move through late Sunday, and behind that front we could see somewhat of a Carolina wedge configuration set up Monday and Tuesday of next week. A few showers can't be ruled out, especially Tuesday, but the next major storm system will likely move through Wednesday night into Thursday. That one could bring a nice round of rain to the region.

As I have mentioned before (and see the video...I get into some of the specifics of this), I am getting pretty excited about the potential for the second half of this month. The overall pattern looks like a good one if you like winter weather in the mid-Atlantic, so for those of you that have missed out on significant snow so far this winter (that would be me!), it is not time to give up just yet. Potential is still there after we go through a quiet stretch for the next week.

7 comments:

David G 1:54 PM  

Matthew,

Would the possible pattern change that you alluded to in your video lead to an increased chance of cyclogenesis along the gulf coast?

Anonymous 3:56 PM  

Matthew,
Are you saying that we might perhaps even see a "blizzard" during the second half?

Anonymous 5:24 PM  

Yes, you will see a blizzard in February, at your local Dairy Queen. :) They'll have little M & Ms in them.

We'll see, count me skeptical. I think it's just going to be too warm as usual. The trees are starting to bud already. Lots a moisture equals rain. Whenever it's really cold it's too dry. Can't get em together, not since 2004. How did that happen Matt? Wasn't that a storm that "created it's own cold air"; pulling it down from above? I think I remember hearing that. Thanks.

Brad

The Tuba Geek 8:54 PM  

I am having a hard time watching the video this evening. Guess I'll have to watch it when I get home :(

Anonymous 12:12 AM  

I have yet to see one tree bloom. LOL. And Brad you seem to be very negative about the winter weather. At least we have gotten something. Esp. in Union County, NC. Winter is not over and remember that periods of warm are followed by periods of cold. I think we will at least a couple more runs at winter weather. And one or two of those storms I think could be decent ones!!

Matthew East 6:26 AM  

David, that type of pattern would favor more southern-track lows...Gulf of Mexico or Deep South.

A blizzard is a rare occurrence around here. I am not saying that, but I am saying the pattern is loaded with potential.

Brad, you may be right, but there is a TON of winter still to go. Some of our best snow storms have come later in February and early March. Feb 2004 sprung out of a pattern not to dissimilar to what some of the modeling has been showing setting up around here later in the month.

Russel...noticed some problems with the video yesterday as well. Hopefully all will be working well. It is something on Blogger's end.

Anonymous 9:04 AM  

Cool, thanks Matt. That's interesting maybe we'll get something after all with that kind of pattern. THAT was FUN. I tell you what, Charlotte is going to be spoiled quick if with a week of 65 degree weather the cold comes roaring back. Hey, I'm hopeful, just skeptical....after being burned the last 5 years. I do LOVE snow.

Anon, just messing with you man. I'm with you. But I said the trees are budding, not blooming. The yoshino cherry's are budding....no flowers yet but they're looking like they want to. With a week of 65 degree weather I wouldn't be surprised to see a few bloom.

Brad

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP