Well...

>> Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Active storms popped in isolated fashion around the Triad and Charlotte regions this evening. I was holding down the fort in the Triad market, and due to 3 severe thunderstorm warnings for Guilford County and 1 for Forsyth County, I did about 2 hours and 45 minutes of wall-to-wall weather coverage. I want to thank you for watching us, and thank you also to those of you who sent in storm reports.

Things have settled now, and the overnight looks quiet, warm, and muggy.

On my way in to work this afternoon, I feel as if I have just run over something. I quickly look in the mirror, but I don't see anything. Just a second later, I hear this awful dragging or scraping noise. I quickly got off to the side of the highway and got out to investigate. Now, my front bumper had been loose for a while, so I fully expected to see my front bumper half ripped off. But to my surprise, everything looked fine. I look under the car...nothing. Then I see it....the blown right rear tire. Now, I have changed a tire in my work clothes by the highway before, as I have discussed on this blog before, but this time was different. I was at the ONLY spot I could find to pull over, and it was right after the crest of a hill by the busy right lane of the highway. I simply did not feel I had room to safely change my tire without getting hit, and there was no driving the car....we are talking FLAT.

I called work, and many thanks go out to one of our videographers, Scott Griffis, for coming out to sort of wave traffic over to make sure they cleared me. Thanks Scott! Got the tire changed...let me tell you, I don't know when the last time I have sweat that much was. I mean, sweat flying off when I simply turn my head. Quite a way to begin the work day!

At any rate, all is well now. I have the tiny spare tire on and will get the tire repaired in the morning. Here's hoping for a safe trip home!

2 comments:

Anonymous 9:10 PM  

Man Matthew...you just ain't got good luck with tires...yea lets hope ya get home safe... :)

Matthew East 10:21 PM  

Nope...tires and me aren't getting along too well recently. And I did make it home safely...

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP