Much cooler...

>> Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Some pretty interesting weather around the region over the next week or so. Chillier air settling in now, and a couple of potent storm systems on tap. Also, I take a look at some general ideas on March.



It was fun to watch the temps this morning as a cold front dropped slowly southward. A 20 degree temp gradient was common along the front, and most sited lost that 15-20 degrees within an hour or so of the frontal passage.


Many NC spots have seen their daily highs already today, but temps will rebound some over morning lows this afternoon. The exception to all of that is when you get very close to SC and the front was last to push in.

We will remain fairly cool through mid-week.

Spring pattern...

Two formidable storm systems will impact the southern US over the next week. One will produce rain and storms Thursday through Friday, and the next one firing things off Monday and Tuesday.

Thursday and Thursday night still have the looks of a significant severe weather episode over parts of the Lower MS Valley, TN, Valley, and Ozarks. Some storms are even possible in the Carolinas by Friday morning.

The system Monday into Tuesday looks much the same.

Thereafter?

Lots of cold air will be meandering around North America as we get into March....we will see how that trends in coming days.

5 comments:

Anonymous 12:53 PM  

At noon, it is the 30's in Raleigh, 43 at GSO, and 70 in Charlotte! A split state.

DoubleJ 3:29 PM  

Matthew, just wanted to thank you for everything you do. Also wanted to tell you that I have decided to go back to school to pursue a Meteorology degree. I have an accounting degree, but I think my passion lies in the weather, and you guys at News 14 have inspired me to pursue it. I am starting in May, and just wanted to thank you again for the inspiration, Jim.

Matthew East 7:03 PM  

Yeah, it was an amazing temp gradient today. Quite a contrast.

Jim, that's awesome. I am glad we provided you with some sort of inspiration. Follow that dream. If I can help in any way, let me know....

DoubleJ 1:13 AM  

Thanks Matthew, Jeff suggested I should think private sector when I'm done. But thanks for the offer, I might need some advice at some point, so I definitely appreciate it!!

Matthew East 5:16 AM  

Private sector is a good route, no doubt. Media has seen some contraction and tightening recently, and that might be on the way on the government side as well. It is a tough field with a fairly flooded market.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP