Groundhog Day, Signing Day, Wednesday . . .

>> Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Sorry for the delay of the post here. I've been too busy following National Signing Day for college football. Hoping my beloved MSU Bulldogs can continue their trend of improvement the past couple of years.


Of course today is Groundhog Day as well. Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow today which means an early spring, I'm sure to the delight of most of the country. Keep in mind half the time I don't even know how they tell because he's out before that much sun even comes up. Frankly today it looked fairly clear up there so I figured he would see his shadow. Last year I thought it was cloudy and he didn't. But I digress. Here's a quick photo of the preceedings . . .



Ridiculous I know. But anyway . . . let's talk about the weather. As soon as this storm system has moved out another one is ready to move in over the next couple of days. Another in a train of gulf lows will be developing by Thursday south of Louisiana and then marching northeast. This will bring rain through much of North Carolina by the time we head into Friday morning. Keep in mind I did say rain here. While a wintry mix is possible in some spots Friday morning and again later Friday night, most of the event here should be rain across the area. The surface low once again moves farther to the north as opposed to along the coast like the last few, meaning warmer air is brought into the system.


However there could still be a few trouble spots during the morning and nighttime hours with this storm system so keep it to your local stations for the exact details each day. Looks pretty soggy for Friday and most of Saturday too before the rain moves out just in time for a dry Super Bowl Sunday.


In the meantime enjoy a dry and fairly sunny day for your Thursday with highs in the low 40s. Also keep an eye on the lower MS valley and Texas the next couple of days. While most of my area in NOLA here should get rain . . . you may actually have accumulating snow for the third year in a row around Houston, and a potential icy mess a little farther east into central LA and southwest MS. Hope everybody has a great day!

3 comments:

DoubleJ 12:10 PM  

I'm almost ready for warmer weather, so an early spring is probably good news for me. I've seen two decent snows for Charlotte, so really, I am good for winter. Thanks for the update. You are doing an excellent job filling in for Matthew, thanks.

Anonymous 8:43 PM  

What is our next chance of snow, or is snow done for the season? I hope not!

Anonymous 1:13 PM  

Models are latching onto, including the ECMWF, Canadian, and GFS, a potential big winter storm for all of NC next Thursday or Friday. I personally believe the models are not reading the depth of cold air and the AO is forecasted to go negative.
~Brandon

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP