Sizing up early January....

>> Thursday, December 30, 2010

Here is today's edition of the video. In today's video, I take a look at a stormy finish to 2010 for the Lower Mississippi and Tennessee Valley, and where the pattern heads next week.



A little light freezing rain and snow is possible in the mountains this morning, but aside from that, the system pulling into the region today will only bring clouds. Highs today will range from 45-51 degrees for much of the Piedmont.


Lower Mississippi Valley severe potential tomorrow and tomorrow night...

Looks like there will indeed be a threat of severe weather from late tomorrow afternoon into the overnight hours tomorrow night, beginning in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Missouri and spreading into parts of Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. Instability looks to remain somewhat limited, but shear and the wind fields will be significant, and some isolated tornadoes and damaging winds will be possible in those areas.

For the Carolinas, I don't think enough instability makes it into the region for any severe weather, or really even any thunderstorm potential. So, no changes here... I will continue to mention the chance of showers from later Saturday into at least Sunday morning. Slow moving front with the main dynamics well off to the north.

Chilly high pressure arrives Monday...many Piedmont spots probably in the 40s for highs.

I am eying the period around January 8 for the next chance of some wintry fun and games in the Southeast and/or the mid-Atlantic. See the video for a little more on this.

3 comments:

wgbjr 11:59 AM  

Lots of winter fun this season!

jtomlinwx 3:40 PM  

Hey Matthew, I know I've talked to you briefly about this before, but I am really torn between going to school for meteorology or pharmacy. I know the job market isn't that good for meteorologists, but if I look hard enough and I'm not picky starting out I think that'll be alright. I am much more interested in weather opposed to pharmacy. I also know that the salary between the two are substantially different, but I would rather go to work loving what I do rather than just waiting for my retirement. Another thing is that I want to live somewhere snowy and you can't be choosy with meteorology. Any advice? Also, any programs for high school students interested in meteorology that you know of? I think that seeing even just for a day what a meteorologist actually does would help me decide. Thank You!

Matthew East 6:57 PM  

Jtomlin.....drop me an email. matthew.east@news14.com

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP