Snow wrap-up....

>> Thursday, February 14, 2008

I was in the midday forecast seat for the Triad and Charlotte markets yesterday. In my forecast package for the Triad, I had put in the chance for a little bit of snow yesterday evening. I think on the 'tonight' graphic, I had "Some evening snowflakes."

Obviously, that was a big understatement. No doubt about it. However, several other outlets you might have checked for weather information had no mention of snow whatsoever yesterday evening. So if you saw my forecast, at least there was some mention of snow in there. But, did I think there would be heavy snow with 2"-3" in many spots....nope.

Traffic accidents aside, I think the snow was a nice surprise for many folks. I remember as a kid, there was nothing sweeter than an unexpected snowfall. And it was neat to see some kids today enjoying that feeling.

So, meteorologically speaking, what happened?

Below is the 500mb chart and the 700mb chart from last night.
You will notice a very strong disturbance (on the 500mb chart) rotating right overhead yesterday evening. On the 700mb chart, the shades of green indicate atmospheric moisture.

So, that strong disturbance created all of the lift necessary to get some heavy precipitation, and the moisture was still available. And with rapidly dropping temperatures aloft, the atmospheric profile quickly became supportive of snowfall. Thus, we wound up with a quick dumping of some heavy snow.

3 comments:

Anonymous 8:38 PM  

I understand the GFS foresaw the snow potential days ahead of the event.

Anonymous 12:43 AM  

Thank you for explaining what led to the snow beyond what was forecast. I appreciate people in any walk of life who have enough ego-checked-at-the-door to say "you know what, things did not turn out as planned....but let's LEARN from what happened so we can better understand the nature of _________." Fill in the blank of whatever career function.
The end game is not to be right (ego), but to get it right (service) - there is a huge difference between the two.
I get a good sense that your's is a servant heart - it will take you far in this life....and not just as a met!
ANON

PS - whenever I see or hear John 3:16 I always like to add "don't forget about 3:17!"

Matthew East 3:28 PM  

Yeah, there had been some indications on the GFS....it is the main reason I was looking at that possibility.

Anon....no problem. There are lots of egos in the business, and I certainly battle pride as well. However, I always try my best to leave that checked at the door.

Thanks for your kind words.

And, you are right about John 3:17 as well...redemption through love. That is what it's all about...God choosing to redeem us because of His love for us.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP