Late Afternoon Update

>> Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Just a few quick words here. Most modeling continues to gradually step toward the European solution, which came in with another huge snowstorm with its most recent 12z run. So, the idea I continue to go with is a less extreme version of the Euro model.


It looks like this low will likely bomb out pretty rapidly as it begins to move from the Gulf up near or along the Atlantic coast. This will likely be one of the more impressive coastal lows we have seen in a while.

Here is the trick though....there could very well be a sharp western cutoff to the heavy snow. I can fully envision a scenario where Columbia and Raleigh get significantly more snow than GSP, Charlotte, and Greensboro. But, if this really turns into a monster storm, there would likely be some significant orographic enhancement in the western Carolinas (orographic and due to lee side trough development).

So, all in all, I am staying the course, and I find it encouraging that the 12z modeling has trended even closer to the Euro...while the Euro holds its course. But again, I think the way to go at the moment is with a less-extreme version of the Euro....but I am fully aware that the Euro could very well verify.

Be aware that if this system really cranks, travel could become very difficult if not impossible around portions of the Southeast and mid-Atlantic by Saturday night and Sunday.

**Looks like the 18z GFS continues to look even more like the Euro solution, albeit quicker and not quite as intense. But the trending continues....**

8 comments:

Anonymous 6:23 PM  

Thanks for the update Matt! Yeah, if we get snow, it's going to be from our south and west when the LOW is west of us near the gulf, shooting moisture toward us from the gulf. Once the LOW gets to the Atlantic and bombs, Raleigh and points east get all the snow, it never makes it as far west as Charlotte. Wrap around snow = no snow for Charlotte (unless like you said it's a monster but I doubt it).

It seems that what the on-air mets (Channels 3 and 9) are calling for, 1-2 inches in Charlotte and heavier amounts in the east when it gets to the atlantic.

Brad

Kenny Barringer 6:25 PM  

Is this storm any comparison to the big snowstorm of 2000 when from Albemarle to Troy there were spots of 15+ inches of snow in places? I remember most stations were calling for flurries and then it exploded. Thanks!! I really enjoy your video's and your blog!!!! Keep up the good work!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Anonymous 6:54 PM  

Matt, what is the chance of signifigant snow along the Pamlico sound in eastern NC?
~brandon

Matthew East 7:24 PM  

Kenny.....some similarities to Jan 25, 2000....but there are some differences synoptically. I wouldn't be surprised to see a strip of heavy snow though.

Brandon...all depends on the degree of phasing. Too soon to tell...

Anonymous 7:46 PM  

Hopefully the Euro stays the same!
~brandon

Chuck 10:16 PM  

I'm getting the feeling we might get ripped off in Winston Salem...Any thoughts Matthew???

Anonymous 10:31 PM  

I have that same feeling Chuck

Jonathan 12:15 AM  

I have a bad feeling about this for the I-85 corridor south of Greensboro in general. The setup just seems too perfect. I'm really hoping the EURO's right, but I don't know. I've seen these storms just die too many times. Just a slight variation's all it would take for our snow chances here in Kannapolis to disappear. I don't like that. Most of the times that's the case, we get ripped off. I'm really hoping this time is different though.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP