Details still up in the air....

>> Thursday, December 23, 2010

Below is today's edition of the Carolina Weather Video. Give it a look...



First off, I was a little surprised to see the modeling scatter so much with the 0z runs today. With the 12z and 18z runs yesterday, there seemed to be a lot of consolidating of the array of solutions. However, with the 0z runs, the models really diverged pretty widely in how each handled the interaction of our southern stream and northern stream disturbances. Even the European, which had been rock-solid consistent, differed somewhat from its previous runs.

This is the issue I have been laying out here on the blog for you all week. We are dealing with timing the interaction of two separate pieces of energy....one from the northern Plains....the other from the Pacific (now in Arizona this morning).

In terms of the modeling specifics, I don't know that any of the models really did a good job of capturing the strength of the AZ disturbance with the 0z cycle. Hopefully the AZ disturbance will be better sampled in the 12z cycle later today.

At the moment, I am completely discounting the NAM. It has essentially had 3 different looks its last 3 runs, so it is all over the place.

I am also largely discounting the 0z Canadian. It appears to weaken the AZ disturbance far too much as it enters the Plains states early tomorrow.

I have spent a ton of time comparing the most recent (0z) run of the Euro to its previous 12z run. There are really pretty similar overall. The one big difference is that the disturbance moving in from the north is a little less consolidated and strung out toward the Ohio Valley. The system still phases, but about 6-12 hours later than the previous runs. So, you still get a rapidly deepening low riding up the coast, but just later in the track than its previous runs. Therefore, the heaviest snow is all east of I-85.

As I have stated, the devil is in the details. If the northern branch feature is weaker or more stung out, this will not phase in time for a big snowstorm in the southeast.

Here is the general idea for this morning...

Snow still looks like a good bet around much of the region Christmas Day into Saturday night. I still like the chances of accumulating snow in a good number of spots. For the time being, I think the idea of the 12"+ snow dumps that had been indicated on some modeling seems even less likely now. That was always a long-shot. While it is still within the realm of possibility, odds seem to be favoring any potential for that shifting up toward New England if at all.

But, the general idea of some snow spreading into the region Christmas Day into Christmas night still seems good. At the moment, I envision a scenario where mainly light snow pulls in during the day Saturday, and then an area of moderate snow develops in from the southwest as the coastal low gets going. Where that moderate snow spread in will receive the highest snow totals.

Like there almost always is, there will be a strip of heavier snow totals, but pinpointing that location right now is impossible. Initial impression might be somewhere near or just east of I-85 to a little east of I-95, but again, that is VERY, VERY preliminary and certainly subject to change.

Like I said earlier, I think the 12z runs will begin to clear the picture a bit. Let's see what they hold....

15 comments:

Anonymous 9:57 AM  

I SAY forget the NAM and GFS! The ECMWF has been most consistent. Plus, I want snow to the coast!
~brandon

Anonymous 10:18 AM  

12Z I think will tell the tale. If it doesn't phase in LA we're in for a minor hit; 1 inch IMO. I would think such a strong system would pick up more moisture out of the gulf and not have to phase, but I don't know. Maybe Matt can help us out with that, but it seems it's going to be too far south and east to really help Charlotte. We've got two more days to iron it out, I just don't think anyone knows what's going on. To me it just seems a gulf low should do more damage than what the models are showing now.

Brad

Jeremy 11:09 AM  

I've been following this blog since last winter and it really does seem like Charlotte is always too far west or too far south to get anything! Hopefully yall will get at least a few inches out of this storm. Seems like the best chance yall have had in 2 winters. I live on the VA border and we got a ton of snow last year...one storm each weekend for a while. I'd love to get hammered with a good snow for Christmas. Two white Christmas's in a row is unheard of in the South.

Anonymous 11:32 AM  

I've got a horrible feeling the 12Z EURO is going to follow the 12Z GFS and reduce the phasing and take it east and we get zippo. It seems like that's the trend since this morning. Even if it does show a storm, it's going to be about the only one that does. Not much hope here.

Brad

Anonymous 12:38 PM  

I agree with Brad. Our chances are starting to diminish with each model run today.

Anonymous 1:26 PM  

Now looking like the signifigant snow will be in Eastern NC according to 12z Euro and GFS.

Anonymous 2:11 PM  

im a little confused by the turn around the models have come to...something seems suspicious..

DoubleJ 3:24 PM  

Anon-Its simple really, Charlotte and surrounding areas are cursed. Models tease, then go away. Although if we still manage 1-2-3 inches, it could be worse. Don't expect a monster storm though.

Matthew East 4:47 PM  

Yes....the monster storms the Euro showed kind of get everybody's expectations higher. If we you go into it with the goal of just seeing some Christmas snow and maybe getting some on the ground, then that could be doable.

Although, I am not completely sold on even that. But I do still think it is quite possible that a lot of areas see some at least minor snow accumulations.

Anonymous 11:41 PM  

We're still almost 36-48 hours out. The models that are now showing a lesser amount of potential snow changed in the last 12-18 hours if I'm not mistaken. Just as easily, I believe they could flip-flop back again. A lot of variables can change things between now and Saturday and that "all important timing" that seems to be the key to a significant southern snow may just favor the snow lovers. I hope so, at my age I may never see a white Christmas. It would be nice to have it happen.

Jonathan 1:02 AM  

I was afraid this was going to happen. I guess it's better for the models to start crushing our hopes of a snowstorm prior to it getting here than to still be believing the day of the event that we're going to get hammered only to receive a light dusting. I'm really glad Matthew's forecasting is realistic and down to earth, unlike that of some of the other local meteorologists in recent years. I still remember one local station saying it was a certainty that we would receive 3-5 inches of snow during a particular storm a few years back. We ended up with a light dusting after a full half-hour of snow. I still haven't forgiven them for that one. I'm still holding onto a little hope that the models shift back the other way. I'd really love to see a white Christmas.

Anonymous 5:08 AM  

Matthew Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the two storms are already trying to phase together....

Anonymous 5:45 AM  

Thought the same thing! Isn't it larger than expected.

Gastonwxman 7:10 AM  

From GSP: THE NAM AND GFS AGREE THAT MOST...THOUGH NOT ALL...OF THE ENERGY WITH THE SRN STREAM LOW NOW MOVING ACROSS NEW MEXICO WILL DROP SOUTH OF THE REGION. ONE THING I FIND INTERESTING IS THAT PCPN IS MORE WIDESPREAD THEN PROGGED BY EITHER MODEL ACROSS SE KS AND SW MO ATTM. THIS IS THE RESULT OF FORCING ASSOCIATED WITH SOME OF THE ENERGY LIFTING OUT OF THE SRN PLAINS AND PHASING WITH THE SHORT WAVE NOW DIVING ACROSS SOUTH DAKOTA. THIS WILL BE SOMETHING TO WATCH AS THE
EXPANDING AREA OF PCPN COULD BE A SIGN OF A WETTER SYSTEM MOVING
TOWARD THE AREA CHRISTMAS MORNING.

Matthew East 7:57 AM  

Just put up a quick post this morning...

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP