Next week getting clearer

>> Sunday, January 14, 2007

In last night's post, I mentioned the range of possibilities regarding next week's weather. I have much more confidence in most of the forecast ideas for the upcoming week as I sit here this evening compared to last.

Here are some of my thoughts....

  • One more warm day tomorrow with highs near 70.
  • Arctic front moves through Monday night. Look for a few showers Monday night into Tuesday morning, but I think the precip ends before any chance for wintry precip.
  • Tuesday will likely feature temps falling through the 40s much of the day.
  • I have given in and tweaked my highs up into the lower 40s for Wednesday and Thursday. I have had those days in the 30s for several days now, but I gave in to the model data this evening and have nudged up those temps a bit. However, that will still be cold and will feel like a real slap in the face after this weekend's warmth. I will probably wind up wishing I didn't chance those highs. We shall see...
  • Most modelling in agreement that the rest of the week will be chilly and dry. Another shot of colder air arrives for next weekend with highs again in the 40s by then.
  • The GFS has at times (the latest being on the 18z run today) wanted to print some precip out around here Thursday or Thursday night. If that were to occur, temps would likely be cold enough for a tricky forecast. However, I am skeptical that that precip will even occur at this point.
  • It still looks like the next big storm system will likely roll through around the 22nd or 23rd. The GFS has been crushing that system with the northern branch on the last several runs, but the European is holding on to it.
  • I still think much of the rest of the month will feature normal to below normal temps. That will likely continue into at least much of the first half of February as well.
I know there a lot of folks out there that want to see snow. I am one of them. Here is what I can offer you....The pattern that I think we will be in for at least the next 3 or 4 weeks is one that usually lends itself to at least the chance for some wintry precip at times in the Carolinas. I cannot guarantee that we will see snow, but I would be somewhat surprised if we make it through mid-February without at least one good shot at snow or ice. It is been a rather significant snowless stretch over the Piedmont, and I sure hope we can break that over the next several weeks.

Now, up in the North Carolina mountains, I think some snow will fall later Tuesday into Tuesday night, especially in the favorable NW facing slopes. And, for the ski industry, temps look good for a lot of snow-making Tuesday through next weekend. So, ski conditions should get quite good as the week progresses!

Some busy off-days coming up for me. Tomorrow, 2 of our kids have doctor's check-ups in the morning, then the afternoon will be spent taking down all of the Christmas decorations. I know...it is late. But, since we were out of town last weekend, this is really the first opportunity to do it. I will also take the opportunity, since I will be on the roof, to use the new blower we got for Christmas to blow the remaining leaves out of the gutters. That will sure beat pulling them out by hand like I did 6 weeks ago.

And, one final note on this suprisingly long-winded post.....my wife and I are huge fans of '24', so it is with rather giddy excitement that we anticipate tonight's season premiere. The DVR will be active this evening, and we will catch up on Jack's troubles after I get home from work.

Although time will be limited over the next couple of days, I will try to make a post or two, especially I see something "interesting" in the offing for our area. Thanks for reading, and have a great night!

1 comments:

Anonymous 1:17 AM  

Yea, 24 is very interesting. I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did. Hpefully another good round tomorrow night.

Hopefully something comes true with a snow situation over these next few weeks. It has been way too long since this area has had a good shot at wintry precip.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP