1pm Wednesday Update

>> Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I am very pressed for time, but here are some thoughts on our upcoming winter weather scenario.

First of all, I think the NAM is likely handling the thermal fields better than the GFS with this system. It often does in wedge-type scenarios. Also, surface temps are running colder right now then most modelling forecast.

the 12z NAM, based on BUFKIT data, shows the following.....

  • For Charlotte, snow, possibly mixed with sleet, spreading in during the predawn hours and lasting until mid-late morning. At that point, freezing rain becomes an issue.
  • For Greensboro, snow arrives by daybreak and continues until early afternoon. At that point, some freezing rain is possible.
  • The NAM also prints out about 0.25" of ice for CLT, but I am not sure I buy that exact scenario.
So, at this point I think the Charlotte area will see snow, maybe mixed with sleet at times, arrive during the pre-dawn Thursday. By midday, we will probably be lookign at some freezing rain. I think this area has the possiblity of 1-2" of snow, then possibly a layer of ice on top of that. Travel could become tricky, especially on beidges and overpasses.

For the Triad, I think 1-3" of snow are a good possiblity, with the possibly for some minor icing on top of that. As in the Charlotte, some travel problems could certainly arise.

I will update the blog as I can. And certainly, stay with News 14 Carolina through the winter weather event. We plan on having full weather staffing for live weather hits through the entire storm.

2 comments:

Anonymous 2:08 PM  

Sweet! Look forward to your blogging and will have News 14 on the office TV. Thank you for giving your time to us needed weather enthusiasts.

Matthew East 7:03 PM  

Thanks for watching! No problem. Weather is my hobby, so I love this stuff as much as anybody else!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP