Well well....

>> Sunday, January 23, 2011

This will be fairly brief, but I wanted to put something up this morning.

The various models continue to really struggle with the precise track the upper air and surface features will take for our upcoming storm system....with the exception really of the Euro. It has been fairly consistent.

I really have no changes to the overall track ideas I have had out there as most likely....and that is a track very near the Carolina coast, give or take 50 miles.

The 0z GFS had that track, and then the 6z GFS came in and was further out to sea....and never brought a flake to the new England states! I will continue to give that model essentially no weighting until it shows an ounce of consistency.

The UKMET is way inland with the track, and the 0z Canadian is inland as well. While that track is possible, the track closer to the coast, as generally the Euro has had, is the way I still lean.

I have kind of been of the opinion all along that if we get a strong, strengthening low riding right up along the coast, the temperature profiles would sort of take care of themselves in the favored areas where the deformation band sets up (northwest side of the low where the heaviest precip occurs).

However, let's take the 0z Euro. Despite a near perfect track to get good snows from north Georgia up the I-85 corridor through SC and NC and back into the foothills and mountains, the lower level thermal profiles remain warmer than I would like to see for snow once outside of the higher elevations. This despite, in NC at least, the surface winds being out of the north for all or most of the storm.

I still have a hard time believing that, if the system unfolds as the Euro shows, that a lot of the deformation band precip would not be able to kick over to snow. I know there is no fresh source of cold air and no high to the north to funnel in low level cold air.

But if the 500mb map does indeed wind up looking like this (see image below), the height falls are so strong, I would imagine heavy precip rates would be able to overcome less than optimal low level temps.
But hey, the model has been pretty insistent that the low levels really do not cool enough for snow once you are out of the mountains and parts of the foothills. So maybe it is right. It definitely, definitely could be.

Bottom line here....lots and lots of details still to iron out. Folks in the I-95 corridor, this was never really your storm it appeared from the get go...I had always been leaning to the areas from I-85 and points north and west. In those areas, I will just say the rain scenario may win out, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in saying it is a rain storm and that is that...so let's see how things play out over the next 36 hours.

7 comments:

Jonathan (Hickory, NC) 7:44 AM  

Good stuff, Matt. I've been hoping you'd put out an update this morning seeing you lurking in the background on American's weather forums.

I still think I'm in a decent position, and you seem to think so too, just NW of Hickory.

My interpretation is that I'm going to get a lot of precip out of this (if you discount the 06Z GFS). The big question still to be answered is how much of it is snow. Time will tell...

Matthew East 7:45 AM  

Yeah, you are in about as good a position as anybody outside of the mountains...your area up through the northern foothills.

Anonymous 2:17 PM  

Does the 12z CMC mean a heavy snow event NW of I-85 it certainly appears like it to me? And do you look at the SREF ensembles snowfall mean/spread for next week it has plenty of snow NW of RAleigh or I-85 per say i still think we get a moderate-possibly still heavy snow storm NW of I-85 what do you think? Chris

Anonymous 2:26 PM  

Why does this thing look so warm i thought this was our classic snowstorm track for NC right up the coast or anywhere east of I-95 and thats what the EMCWF modle is implying so why is this all of sudden so different? Chris

Anonymous 4:18 PM  

Matt, why is our high pressure slipping off shore this time intead of holding over the lakes? I believe this is going to keep us from getting snow. Not enough fresh cold. However, we should keep an eye on how much cold the energy from the west brings when the two merge. Any thoughts on this?

Anonymous 9:47 PM  

This storm is ourfavored snow storm track but yet all we gonna get a is big rain storm what a ridiclous thing the models was showing last week and everyone talking about a big snowstorm possibly maybe yall shouldnt talk about a snowstorm some30 days away and wait till a day before to start talking about it because all the models get everyone hyped up in thinking a whopper snow is coming only to get teh Biggest rainstorm of the decade what a hoax time to throw the pity party and say how much of a non snow event this is gonna be so RIDICLOUS...JB

Matthew East 5:24 AM  

I hear you JB.....frustrating system.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP