Turning a Page...

>> Friday, August 29, 2008

Today marks my final day in the evening shift here at News 14 Carolina. Bob Child has decided to step back from being full-time here at the big 14. For those that don't know, Bob is a talented guy in many different ways, and I know he is looking forward to spending more time on some of his creative interests.

So, beginning Monday morning, I am moving into the Monday-Friday AM shift for the Greensboro market. I have always loved the morning shift when I have done it on a fill-in basis. I am so excited to get started, and I hope all of you folks in the Triad will start your mornings off with me and with News 14 Carolina. I know I am eager to give you your Wake-Up Weather and tell you what to expect for the day as you head out the door.

Believe it or not, I have been in the Wednesday-Sunday shift, mainly evenings, for my entire career up until this point. Even back at WTVA, my previous station, I was Wednesday through Sunday. I have not had weekends off since I was 20 years old.

But the biggest thing I am thankful for with this new shift involves my family. This new shift will allow me so much more time with my kids, and I am so excited about it. I will not have to miss any more soccer games or t-ball games, and I can actually tuck my kids in to bed on a regular basis. My family has sacrificed a lot for me thus far in my career....we lived in 5 different homes between 2003 and 2006. I am very thankful to have found some stability here with News 14 Carolina, and I am glad we have actually been able to put down some roots. And now I will be able to spend the time with my family that I have been hopeful for.

So at any rate, for the Charlotte market, you won't see me on weekend evenings anymore. However, I will be on the air for some midday and morning weekday shifts from time to time. And I will not be on for the Triad market on Thursday and Friday evenings. However, like I mentioned, you folks in the Triad will get to put up with me every Monday through Friday morning.

I am thankful for this opportunity, and I am very excited to get started. I am ready to take that bull by the horns and run with it.

In terms of the tropics, I do not have any changes with my earlier ideas. Gustav is getting set to explode in intensity, and I would expect this to be a major hurricane sooner rather than later. This will be a very big deal for the central Gulf coast.

Hanna still has lots of question marks with it, but I am getting the feeling more and more that this could wind up in the Gulf.

Let me know what you think in terms of the new blog layout, and please let me know any suggestions you have.

And of course, college football season is here. My MSU Bulldogs open up the season tomorrow evening at 6:45 at Louisiana Tech...the game is on ESPN2.

4 comments:

Anonymous 7:45 AM  

I hope your new transition goes well!

Blog layout is very nice. Seems more "clean" than before. Good job.

Anonymous 11:54 AM  

Like the new Layout! I wish you the best of luck in your new shift, but I know you will do fine! Your a Great Meteorologist! It's great that you now get to spend more time with your family...that's what its all about!
God Bless,
Kimberly :-)

Anonymous 3:11 PM  

congrats matthew!

whos gonna run the charlotte market on weekend nights though?

Matthew East 5:35 AM  

I appreciate all of your kind words. Excited to be here this morning!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP